170g/6oz Self Raising flour
170g/6oz butter or margarine
3 medium eggs
212g/7½oz caster sugar
3 pieces of stem ginger in syrup-chopped finely
1 level tsp ground ginger
1 heaped tablespoon cocoa blended with 2 tablespoons of hot water. Allow to cool.
Two 20cm/8in sponge tins lightly greased and lined with baking parchment.
Pre-heat the oven to very moderate 335F/170C
1. Cream the fat and sugar together until light and fluffy.
2. Beat in the cooled cocoa mixture.
3. Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
4. Sieve the flour and the ground ginger and fold into the mixture.
5. Add the chopped stem ginger.
6. Fold in 1 tablespoon of milk.
7. Divide the mixture evenly between the 2 prepared tins and bake for 25-35 mins. Cool on a wire tray.
200g/7oz icing sugar
25g/1oz cocoa powder
2 tbsp hot water
1 tbsp milk
1. Melt butter with hot water and milk, remove from heat.
2. Sieve icing sugar together with cocoa powder and beat into warm mixture.
3. Leave until cold and then fill and ice cake with the chocolate icing.