The campaign, spearheaded by the Food Standards agency, is focused on raising awareness of the potential risk of spreading Campylobacter as a result of washing raw chicken.
Campylobacter is the most common cause of food poisoning in the UK, in the last year there has been 280 confirmed cases in Bournemouth and 199 in Poole.
Bournemouth Environmental health officers will be distributing information and advice leaflets to local libraries, children centres and community centres to make sure people know how to stay safe, particularly when handling raw chicken.
Councillor David Smith, Cabinet Member for Planning & Environment, Bournemouth Council, said: “It’s important that people know how to handle and cook food safely for themselves and for their families. We hope that by raising awareness of this issue we can help inform residents so that they keep safe and well, free from the risk of contamination. I would encourage everyone to take the time to read the information and advice on the leaflets that have been distributed around the town and help spread the word.”
Councillor Xena Dion, Cabinet Portfolio Holder for Consumer Protection, Borough of Poole, said: “The symptoms of Campylobacter are extremely unpleasant but if we all take this simple precaution we can help keep ourselves and our family safe. Chicken is a popular dish and we would like to keep it that way.”
Local authorities, all the major supermarkets and key partners will be working together to make sure people know how to stay safe. Advice is available at www.food.gov.uk/chicken.