PCSO Adam Cleaver, who works for Winton Safer Neighbourhood Team, was on patrol in Winton when Donna Saghir ran out screaming for help.
Donna’s 17-month-old son Samuel had stopped breathing after choking on a piece of pasta. She and neighbour Patsy Cox tried in vain to dislodge the food but were unsuccessful and the youngster’s heart briefly stopped.
Donna said: “I just panicked. I saw some PCSOs walking up the road and I ran out and asked for help.”
PCSO Cleaver sprung to action and began using the life-saving skills he’d been taught during his training with Dorset Police to revive Samuel.
Donna, who lives with husband Saghir, sons Daniel, 14, James, 12, Adam, nine and daughter Leila, five, said: “I was on the phone to the ambulance service but was absolutely frantic. Patsy took the phone from me and relayed what the man was saying so Adam could do the treatment.
“Samuel wasn’t breathing and his heart stopped. By the time the paramedics arrived Adam had resuscitated him.”
Samuel was rushed to Poole Hospital following the incident on Tuesday 23 September and was later transferred to Southampton Intensive Care Unit.
Donna, 42, a teaching assistant, said: “He was in hospital for four days in total. He developed an infection because some of the food went into one of his lungs. Thankfully he is on the mend now.
“It was a terrifying experience. I dread to think what would have happened had Patsy and Adam not been there to help. I will always be thankful.”
PCSO Adam Cleaver said: “When I went in Patsy was there with Samuel and she had him upside down. I took him off her and started resuscitation. He was floppy and really white. Thankfully I managed to get his heart started and he began breathing.
“At the time I didn’t really think about what I was doing, I just went into autopilot. It was only afterwards when I left the house that the gravity of the situation hit me.
“I have got two boys and it is nice to know that I am able to help save a child’s life.”
Deputy Neighbourhood Inspector Chris Amey said: “As a parent these are the kind of situations that you dread.
“We are so pleased Adam was in the right place at the right time and able to use the lifesaving skills he was taught in training to help save Samuel’s life.
“We are extremely proud of his efforts and will be putting him forward for an award.”