The Priest’s House Museum and Garden is hosting a display from 9 to 21 October with John Evans exploring the history of the local Ordnance Survey map. John will also be giving two illustrated talks to accompany the display on 16 October and 21 October at 2.30pm.
The display will focus on the black and white one-inch series showing Wimborne and Dorset from 1790 onwards. It will cover the surveys, map development, additions and revisions.
A series of colour maps from 1913 onwards were sold to the public. There was ground breaking experimentation in colour and printing formats. However, the Ordnance Survey found itself in competition from Bartholomew, Stanford and the National Geographic Society, who were also selling maps based on their surveys.
The processes and principles established for these Ordnance Survey maps formed the basis of map illustrating to the present Pathfinder and Explorer maps.
Places are limited in John’s talks. Please contact the museum on 01202 882533 or visit the museum shop during normal opening hours for booking details.
For further information please contact the museum on 01202 882533 or visit www.priest-house.co.uk
Please share post:
Tags: Priest's House Museum