Fire safety reminder to students

Fire safety reminder to students

Caption: Fire in Bemister Road

Education | Posted: Monday, November 19th, 2018 at 9:14 am | return to news

Fire safety reminder to students

Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service is reminding students to make sure that they have working smoke alarms in their accommodation.

Fire safety reminder to students

Caption: Fire in Bemister Road

Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service is reminding students to make sure that they have working smoke alarms in their accommodation.

Nine students escaped a house fire on 17 November in Bemister Road, Bournemouth, after a portable heater left too close to bedding led to fire breaking out.

Four crews – from Redhill Park, Westbourne, Christchurch and Springbourne – were called to the detached property at 5.39am and found a well-developed fire in a ground floor bedroom. Four breathing apparatus wearers, two hose reel jets and a main jet were used to extinguish the blaze.

Volunteers from the British Red Cross emergency response team attended to support the displaced students, who are now being assisted by Bournemouth Borough Council to find alternative accommodation.

Station manager Stuart Granger said, “Fortunately, the student in the affected room woke up and started to raise the alarm, with the smoke alarm also activating. As a result, all nine people in the house escaped safely. This incident is a sobering reminder about not leaving portable heaters on and close to flammable materials, such as bedding, but also proves the value of working smoke alarms. Ideally, every property should have one on the ceiling of every level, and they should be tested regularly.”

Other fire safety top tips for students are:

  • Never smoke in bed.
  • When you finish a cigarette, put it out completely – and make sure all cigarette ends are cold before emptying ashtrays into bins.
  • Don’t leave electrical appliances, such as mobile phones, laptops or e-cigarette chargers, charging overnight. Never place your phone under your pillow while it is on charge.
  • Be careful not to leave portable appliances such as laptops on the bed or piles of laundry, as the heat from the battery can start a fire.
  • Don’t leave cooking unattended, and don’t cook when you have been drinking.
  • Check your furniture has the fire-resistant permanent label.
  • Be aware of where fire alarms are located and fire equipment is kept.
  • Be careful when using candles, tea lights and incense burners, and always extinguish before you leave the room or go to bed.
  • Keep escape routes clear – for example, don’t leave bikes blocking the hallway – and check which windows will open enough to allow an escape.
  • If you’re renting privately, your landlord must ensure that all gas appliances are checked once a year by a Gas Safe registered installer, and you must be shown the safety certificates.

For more fire safety advice, visit www.dwfire.org.uk/safety

Please share post:

Follow us on

Mags4Dorset | Follow us on Facebook
Mags4Dorset | Follow us on Twitter

for the latest Dorset News from Mags4Dorset

LATEST NEWS

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Post comment