Latest News, Lifestyle | Posted: Saturday, July 18th, 2020 at 11:58 am | return to news

People urged to enjoy the summer holidays safely

School is out for many pupils this week, which is likely to result in a wave of visitors coming to Dorset.

beach

However, local councils, emergency services and other organisations are urging residents and tourists to remain conscious of the need to act responsibly and respect their surroundings and local communities.

Assistant chief constable Sam de Reya, of Dorset Police, said, “The majority of our communities and visitors have continued to behave in a considerate and responsible manner throughout these difficult last few months and, even though many of the restrictions previously in place have eased, we would ask that to continue as we enter the peak summer holiday period.

“We have already seen surges in visitor numbers to the county during sunny spells and we are expecting these to continue over the coming weeks. We have been working hard to ensure a thorough policing plan is in place and have been liaising with our partners to ensure we are as prepared as possible.

“As the summer getaway begins we are also likely to see an increase in traffic on our roads. We are urging people to plan ahead and expect delays. Please drive safely and take regular breaks if you are travelling long distances.

“This is obviously a key period for our hospitality sector and I hope that everyone can enjoy it responsibly so we can continue to make the most of everything that is on offer.”

Cllr Vikki Slade, leader of Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole Council, added, “This weekend marks the start of the big summer holidays and we encourage everyone thinking of heading to the beach to take responsibility. We know the summer can be busy but if everyone takes a little time to plan their journey, perhaps use car parks further away from the hotspot seafront areas, consider the impact on other people using the beach or promenades and ensure they leave only footprints from their visit, then we can all have an enjoyable experience.

“Should visitor numbers start to rise we will have resources in place to respond to any issues arising and will be in close contact with our multi agency partners to ensure the area is managed safely.”

Cllr Spencer Flower, leader of Dorset Council said, “We want to reassure residents that we have thorough plans in place to avoid a repeat of scenes at some of our most popular visitor destinations recently.

“We are asking everyone to respect our communities by following social distancing advice, not to bring disposable BBQs and please take any litter home.”
Dorset Police and Crime Commissioner Martyn Underhill said, “As Dorset welcomes visitors back, I’d like to remind people that many of our residents are still understandably very nervous about COVID-19.

“Enjoy our beaches, beauty spots and hospitality industry, but please do so safely and in a way that respects our communities. Stick to the guidance and don’t do anything that will put undue pressure on our police and emergency services or could increase the chances of a spike in cases.

“And as we return to business as usual across the county, I’d also like to remind everyone to respect our roads. Officers will be out and about over the next few months looking out for dangerous and selfish motorists. And while there is never any excuse for drug or drink driving, if you try to get away with it in Dorset this summer you will get caught, lose your licence and potentially your job.”

Young people are also being reminded of the need to take act responsibly over the holidays

ACC de Reya said, “I know this has been a tough time for children and young people recently, with disruptions to school and the various restrictions that have been put in place. However, we need you to continue to do your bit by not gathering in large groups and observing social distancing guidance.

“I appreciate young people will want to go out and have fun this summer, and they deserve to, but I want them to avoid taking unnecessary risks, such as swimming in unsupervised stretches of open water, and recognise the dangers of taking substances like alcohol and illegal drugs.”

Area manager Seth Why, of Dorset and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service, said, “We are asking the public and visitors to the area to leave your barbecues at home as they are a significant fire risk to the countryside.

“Whilst we understand that the warm weather will leave many wanting to go out and enjoy it, we cannot stress the importance of being fire-aware, this follows recent significant fires started by disposable BBQs.”

Please share post:

Follow us on

Mags4Dorset | Follow us on Facebook
Mags4Dorset | Follow us on Twitter

for the latest Dorset News from Mags4Dorset

LATEST NEWS

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Post comment