Electric-Blanket

Firefighters are advising the public to check electrical items for safety now the weather has turn colder.

A 90-year-old lady from Andover was recently rescued from a potentially fatal fire caused by an electrical therapeutic heat pad that overheated in her bed.

Control was alerted to the fire adjust after midnight on 15 January by the elderly lady. It quickly became clear she had low mobility and would be unable to escape from her home to safety. Staff gave life saving advice over the phone until fire crews from Andover and Stockbridge arrived and led her to safety.

Incident Commander, Fred Pettersson said: “This incident could have easily turned into a fatal fire and highlights the importance of checking all your electrical items, particularly the ones you use at night. The advice our Control Operators gave over the phone saved this lady’s life and helped us find her quickly and lead her to safety.”

He continued: ‘We would urge the public to check all electrical items; heat pads and electric blankets, especially now if you’re using them more due to the recent colder weather. We would also ask the public to consider any older friends or relatives that may also use these items and help them check them.”

More information about electrical safety can be found in Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service’s (HFRS) electrical safety leaflet attached.

HFRS also provide home safety visits for anyone that may be vulnerable/live alone. If you would like a home safety visit or know anyone that may need one, contact our Community Safety team by emailing: community.firesafety@hantsfire.gov.uk or calling: 023 8062 6809.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Post comment